Wednesday, June 6, 2012

*memories*

So today is the 79th anniversary of the drive-in movie theater. Probably my favorite way to see a movie besides the comfort of our own home with tons of blankets and pillows. Not many exist anymore however and I for one find that sad, I mean forget the fact that it is cheaper and you can bring all your own snacks; what could be more fun than piling into the back of your mini-van or pickup truck snuggled up to watch a movie under the stars? We have been blessed however and this is our second duty station that has a nearby drive-in, actually we have two fairly close! We are going this weekend as a matter of fact; they are playing two kids' movies! Score! Madagascar 3 and The Pirates Band of Misfits. I doubt my boys will make it through much of the second one, if my youngest even makes it through the first haha but nonetheless, I am excited and happy that we can give them these memories because who knows how long we will still have any drive-in movie theaters left. I remember the first time we brought the boys to see a movie at one, it was in Georgia and I think we saw a Kung Fu panda movie, we had also seen one of the Harry Potter movies there as well. Their faces lit up when we pulled into our spot and had them hop out so they could play ball and blow bubbles while we set up the back of the van for movie viewing comfort. They had a blast and talked about it for weeks! I had taken them a few times the past couple of years as well but my husband had not been with us (training, deployment) so I am excited to be going with him this weekend.

Do you have fond memories of the drive-in? And do you still have one close to you?

No comments: