Saturday, February 5, 2011

Valentine's Day

There is controversy over this holiday. Many believe it is nothing but a Hallmark holiday, but where did it start? St. Valentine is the patron saint of love, (young people, and happy marriages as well.) He was a holy priest in Rome who was executed on February 14, in approximately the year 270. In 469 AD Pope Gelasius marked the date as a celebration in honor of his martyrdom. You can read more about it here.

I personally do not go crazy with lavish gifts, nor do I expect them but my guys and and I enjoy a little token of affection, and the kids enjoy handing out valentine's as well. None of us need a holiday to show our love but we think it's fun. We also celebrate by having a special, "romantic" meal which usually consists of pasta or "red" foods. :)

So what do you think about the "hallmark" holiday and how do you celebrate (if you do) and if you don't then why not? I'd love to hear from all of you!

This year my four year old is mailing some valentine's out and giving some to his MOPS friends, my oldest bought something for a girl and as far as my husband and I, not sure if we're doing any kind of gift or not but I have a special meal planned. Making chicken parmesan over pasta, some chocolate fondu and a heart shaped red velvet cake! :)

No comments: