When I think back to summer in my childhood I have many fond memories. Times were different then, children could play outside til sundown and ride their bikes across town to visit a friend without their parents having to worry too much about them. I used to swim, a lot! I remember waking up in the morning during the summer and hopping in the pool first thing if the water was warm enough. I remember gathering up change or getting my allowance and walking to the candy store to buy various gummi type candy for a penny a piece! Buying popsicles and "sip-sacks" (if you are from Quebec, you know what those are.) I remember one summer a few friends and I took on this project where we made story books that we sold for extra candy store money; we literally made books out of paper and glitter and glue and made up silly stories and drawings. I also remember riding our bikes down to the dam, even though we weren't suppose to, and seeing how close we could get to walking across it. I remember when playgrounds were safe and you didn't have to worry about showing up there and finding broken beer bottles or used condoms; or worse having some creeper exposing himself to children (this really happened here recently at our huge city park.) The world is a different place though, much darker and much scarier. My youngest two boys are still too young to even play outside alone but even my 14 year old is limited on how far he can go on his own. It's just not as safe anymore. My boys and I do spend a lot of time outside during the summer though, playing in the water or sand; riding their various bikes, scooters, quads and ride-ons. We like to grill out a lot in the summer also and head to the parks or down by the water, and we definitely love to go camping. Something I didn't do much of as a child because my parents were just not into that. Ahhh I am starting to get very excited for summer to get here and the camping trips to start, the fireworks on the 4th of July and my youngest's birthday party as well. I'm also beyond excited for our Aerosmith show at the end of June.
Why don't you hop on the blog dare and share your memories with us? :) Head on over to Bloggy Moms (link to the dare on the right.) And if you don't have a blog, well leave me a comment with your favorite summer memory. :)
I hope the sun is shining for you as it is for us today, and if it is, get out and enjoy it! :) Have a blessed weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment