Sunday, May 2, 2010

Historical Savannah

So yesterday was our ninth wedding anniversary, and while most people like to go out on a romantic date; I wanted to check out some of the rich history that Savannah holds, and one of the places I really wanted to see before we leave this state in three weeks was the Bonaventure Cemetary (as seen in Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil movie, book.) I am so glad we decided to venture out & explore it, it was beautiful (as beautiful as a cemetary can be!) I did not take pictures of everything because I didn't feel it was respectful but I took some pictures of some statues because I just had to share their beauty with you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Talk about photographic timing, this bird flew away just after I took the picture. :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

We got quite a workout walking through there for about an hour & a half, and we didn't even cover the entire thing! It is HUGE! I felt a sense of peace walking through there for the most part touched with a little sadness when I saw so many gravestones belonging to children. One set really stuck with me and struck me as odd, they were on the same plot (same family) and there were three or four, and they belonged to babies (living only a year or two give or take) but all from different years. It was just odd and gave me an uneasy feeling. These were from many decades ago (possibly even longer, I cannot recall the dates) but it was just sort of eery.

Well, if you are ever in Savannah and have a couple of hours to spare, take a moment to stop by and admire the statues and pay your respects.

No comments: